Tuesday, July 1, 2014

American flag cake.

I've been really busy spending time with my family. I'm sorry I've been slacking, lol.

What you need;
- White cake mixes
- Blue and red food coloring
- 2 cans of white icing
- 9in. circle pan (I use aluminum foil in the pan with the spray butter for an easier and cleaner way to get the cake out of the pan)

What to do;
- Mix your cakes according to the directions you have. Add the food dye to 'your' desired color of red and blue. (I used a box of blue velvet, a box of red velvet, and a box of french vanilla cake mix to make it easier)
- For each circle, I used 3 heaping scoops of a 1/4c measuring cup. But for the blue I doubled it and used 6 heaping scoops of the same measuring cup.
- You will end up with 3 red, 1 double blue, and 2 white cakes.
- With the measurement of your cake pan in mind, draw and cut out a circle that is 1 1/2 - 2in from the edge of the cake.
- After your cakes have cooled completely on a cooling rack, (you may also place them in the fridge for 30min- 1hr) cut the tops of the cakes to make them flat and even. Remember that the blue cake circle is double, so stack the red cake circle and the white cake circle that you will be using for your smaller circles on top of each other to see how tall your blue circle needs to be. Then begin cutting the circles from the stencil that you made.
- As seen in the picture below, you will have 2 full red cake circles and 1 small red cake circle. 1 outer ring of your double blue cake circle. 1 full white cake circle and 1 small white cake circle.


- Begin your assembly process.
- Start with a full red,



- ice the top of your red,
- then add your full white,



- ice the top of your white,
- then add your last full red,



- ice the top of your last red,
- (make sure your small white and small red fit into the center of your blue before you do the next steps)
- then carefully add your blue outer edge



- then add your little small white circle,



- ice the top of your small white circle,
- then add your small red circle.



- Frost the rest of your cake (I placed my cake in the fridge for 30min before I frosted the rest of my cake. If you find that the cake is breaking/ ripping while you are frosting, place it in the fridge)
-Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Very well done. Absolutely brilliant information. I'm in love with this blog. they always provide such a great information. sandwhich Wrap


    ReplyDelete